My readers' locales:

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Week 8 #18

I've had a MySpace page for 2 1/2 years now. It is my preferred social networking site because all of my friends use it. I honestly don't think any of my friends use any other social networking site except MySpace. I tried out Friendster a few years ago because one of my good friends John had an account. It turned out he was the only one of my friends with an account on Friendster. He got boring quickly and frankly I was already comfortable with the MySpace setup.

If you don't have any friends that are on the social networking sites, you can always make friends. But that's easier said than done. Being an internet socialite for the past 12 years (HALF OF MY LIFE OMG!!!), I have learned how to recognize the weirdos by sharpening my screening skills. I have met people off the internet and although it is very risky, I still prefer this method to going out to a bar (I don't drink). I actually have some friends on my MySpace that I have talked to since I was just a 12 year old newbie on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and have kept in touch with them through various internet social mediums such as MySpace and AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). One of these old friends is from Canada, and although we had been talking to each other since we were both 12 years old, we didn't meet until July of 2006!

I just think it is incredible that because of the internet, two people whose paths may never cross in real life can have a friendship, converse daily, and influence each others' lives.

No comments: