My readers' locales:

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 7 #16

I added my blog to the favorite blogs on the ihcpl wiki. I actually use Wikipedia regularly. I discovered it when I was watching the library's copy of "Freaks and Geeks the Complete Series" and recognized actors, but didn't know where I recognized them from. I typed their names into Google and out came their Wikipedia articles. It turns out that brown-haired teenage misfit Lindsay went on to play Sam on NBC's ER.

This is how I want wikis to play a part in libraries. From time to time I have a customer that comes up to me and says, "I'm looking for a movie. It has so-and-so in it." Sometimes the catalog will be helpful in this situation, but what would really be helpful is some sort of database, that has all the movies and the plots, directors, producers, actors, soundtrack...just like when I wanted to know who was on Freaks and Geeks. In this case, tags would be helpful to use in searching for the correct article. For example if you typed in "arabian princess" and "lamp", you would get "Aladdin".

No comments: